Sunday, May 07, 2006
FIRST POST! House Update!
Welcome to our blog, ADVENTURES IN HOME OWNING, which will chronicle everything and anything regarding our *FIRST* home :) Bookmark us!
This weekend marks two weeks since we've moved in, and boy, does time fly! There doesn't seem to be enough hours in the day to accomplish everything that needs to be done!
Here is an update on what is happening with the house:
- When we moved in, the entire upstairs was carpeted in lovely brown/orange 70s carpet. Underneath the carpet: ASBESTOS TILE! Eeeks!
- Our first weekend in the house, Adam, his brother Joe, and dad Joe set off to tear up all the carpet and tile. Mission accomplished! However, under the tile, the plywood underlayment was coated in sticky black mastic.
- Our second weekend in the house, Adam and his dad tore up all the plywood so we can lay down fresh plywood, and then paint and carpet.
- At this point, we are waiting for the plywood we need to go on sale so we can purchase it, lay it down and then move on to painting and carpeting. Yippee!
- The basement is coming along quite nicely. We really enjoy all the extra space it adds. We put all of our living room furniture from our old apartment down there, so it is our tv/family room area.
- The set-up of the basement didn't go as smoothly as we hoped though... our movers could not get our large couch down the stairs. That wasn't going to stop Adam, though...
- Our first weekend in the house, Adam, his dad, and friend Frank were determined to get the couch downstairs. The only way: rip out the bottom three stairs so the couch could clear the staircase and make the turn into the basement.
- Mission accomplished! The stairs were ripped out, couch was moved down and the stairs were promptly replaced later that week (thanks to Joe Sr.)!
- The other great thing about the basement: I can finally do laundry any time I want! As you'll see, we had quite a bit to do when we first moved in!
- There are still boxes everywhere! But the everything is slowly coming together...
- Adam is chipping away all the texture off our bedroom ceiling so we are temporarily sleeping in what will eventually be our office. He hopes to be finished with the ceiling and ready for us to paint next weekend.
So far, we are really really enjoying living in Oak Lawn. We love the space we have and are excited about having something that is ours!
More updates to come soon!
Carole (& Adam)